Matchbook’s Daniel Hussey is here to summarise all the podcast bets as Tom Stanley, Donn McClean, Steve Jones and Charlie Poste share their fancies for this weekend’s racing…]
Haydock, Kempton and Ascot were all on the agenda for Tom, Donn, Steve and Charlie.
Here’s who they fancy for each of the live ITV races…
— Matchbook Betting Exchange (@TeamMatchbook) September 2, 2022
15:30 Haydock – Sprint Cup Stakes (Group 1)
Steve Jones is heading to Ireland with Castle Star win and place at 26.0. Naval Crown for Donn McClean, who feels he’s overpriced at 7.2. Tom Stanley is with the forgotten horse Flaming Rib at 26.0, while Charlie Poste likes Kinross at 9.0.
- Tom – Flaming Rib (w/p) 26.0
- Donn – Naval Crown 7.2
- Steve – Castle Star (NR)
- Charlie – Kinross (NR)
13:15 Haydock – Ascendant Stakes
Not a big punting race for our team with all feeling Naval Power will win at 1.5. Plenty of better betting opportunities on the ITV card today.
- Tom – No bet (Naval Power)
- Donn – No bet (Naval Power)
- Steve – No bet (Naval Power)
- Charlie – Naval Power 1.5
13:45 Haydock – Superior Mile Stakes
Almost a team steam here with Dark Shift (6.4) a pick for Steve, Donn and Charlie. Tom is laying favourite Reach For The Moon (2.26) with Charlie, and Steve are also happy to do the same in our Best Lays section below!
- Tom – Lay Reach For The Moon 2.26
- Donn – Dark Shift (NR)
- Steve – Dark Shift (NR)
- Charlie – Dark Shift (NR)
14:05 Kempton – September Stakes
Charlie and Tom both like Dubai Honour (2.5) with his market rivals conceding weight and Mostahdaf not consistent at this distance. Donn thinks Gear Up is massively overpriced at 8.0 for Joseph O’Brien. Steve is in agreement and does have a question mark over the favourite at this distance.
- Tom – Dubai Honour 2.5
- Donn – Gear Up 8.0
- Steve – Gear Up 8.0
- Charlie – Dubai Honour 2.5
14:20 Haydock – 1m6f Handicap
Donn likes lightly races Speycaster (9.2), who also made Charlie’s shortlist. He goes instead for Sarsons Risk (10.5) for Ian Williams, who feels the 1m6f will bring out further improvement. Another Irish raider for Steve thought Irish Lullaby did well to win in Galway last time out at 1m4f. Adjuvant for Tom.
- Tom – Adjuvant 7.2
- Donn – Speycaster (NR)
- Steve – Irish Lullaby 13.0
- Charlie – Sarsons Risk (NR)
14:40 Kempton – London Mile Series Final Handicap
Not a strong shout for Charlie, but he did go for Cabinet Maker at 9.4, who wasn’t seen in his best conditions when running at Wolverhampton. Tom puts up Spirit Of The Bay (7.0) which he admits is not the most straightforward. Tentative play for Donn with On A Session (11.5) while Steve is the biggest price of the lot (and the most confident!) with Baldomero a win/place shout at 13.5
- Tom – Spirit Of The Bay 7.0
- Donn – On A Session 11.5
- Steve – Baldomero 13.5 (w/p)
- Charlie – Cabinet Maker 9.4 (w/p)
14:55 Haydock – Old Borough Cup Handicap
3.1 is just big enough for Charlie to be interested in the favourite Soulcombe (3.1). Another big price for Steve with Island Brave (17.5) a play based on the lack of pace in the race. Donn likes “progressive horse” Contact (7.2), who has won twice this season, including at this track. Tom is with 8.8 shot Evaluation.
- Tom – Evaluation (NR)
- Donn – Contact (NR)
- Steve – Island Brave 17.5 (w/p)
- Charlie – Soulcombe (NR)
15:10 Ascot – National Racehorse Week Handicap
What’s rare is wonderful as Tom and Steve agree with “lightly raced” Shining Blue who is a backable win/place price of 12.0 at the time of recording. Donn sits this one out while Charlie likes Aratus (8.4) who he feels has been an unlucky horse.
- Tom – Shining Blue 12.0 (w/p)
- Donn – No bet
- Steve – Shining Blue 12.0 (w/p)
- Charlie – Aratus 8.4 (w/p)
15:45 Ascot – Lavazza Stakes
Favourite First Ruler (4.8) for Donn, who notes Ryan Moore on board. Steve agrees and feels he’s an unexposed type with his running style to suit. Tom chances Al Nafir (10.5) with a very small win/place bet. Charlie put up Mandobi at Glorious Goodwood but is happy to go to the well again, with the tongue tie a potential improver.
- Tom – Al Nafir 10.5 (w/p)
- Donn – First Ruler 4.8
- Steve – First Ruler 4.8
- Charlie – Mandobi 9.6 (w/p)
Any Other Bets
- Tom – Ten Ten Twenty 2.5 or bigger (16:09 Stratford)
- Donn – Sheishybrid (18:10 Down Royal Friday)
- Steve – No bet
- Charlie – No bet
- Tom – Reach For The Moon 2.25 (13:45 Haydock)
- Donn – No lay
- Steve – Reach For The Moon 2.25 (13:45 Haydock)
- Charlie – Reach For The Moon 2.25 (13:45 Haydock)
Best Bets (Charity Bets) (£1000 guaranteed)
- Tom – Flaming Rib (w/p) 26.0 (15:30 Haydock)
- Donn – Naval Crown 5.1 (15:30 Haydock)
- Steve – Baldomero 13.5 (14:40 Kempton)
- Charlie – Aratus 9.8 (NB) (15:10 Ascot)
Best of luck!
Watch Our Weekend Racing Preview:
Subscribe to the Matchbook Betting Podcast here
Subscribe to the Matchbook YouTube channel here