The final week of the jumps season in Ireland so Tom Stanley assembled a star-studded podcast line-up for our Punchestown Preview.
Big week in-store and Punchestown delivers some serious racing over the next five days.
We’ve left Saturday alone but have the first 10 Grade 1s covered plus some handicap bets and the usual best bets and best lays. Enjoy!
– ???? ???? ✅
– ???? ???? ❌
– ???????? ???? ?
— Matchbook Betting Exchange (@TeamMatchbook) April 25, 2022
17:25 Friday – Champion Hurdle (2m)
A couple of shouts for Epatante, either in the place market, the without market, or the forecast with Honeysuckle, who nobody makes a betting prospect at 1.25. Matt will chance Saint Roi in the without market.
- Tom – Epatante w/o fav and w/p
- Matt – Saint Roi (without Honeysuckle)
- Donn – Go Honeysuckle! (No bet)
- Deasy – 1st Honeysuckle, 2nd Epatante
18:00 Friday – Champion Novice Hurdle (2m4f)
Donn thinks there’s some value about Flame Bearer whilst Matt thinks the same about Whatdeawant. He’s concerned State Man will be too short stepping dramatically up in grade. Deasy just about makes him a bet whilst I’d rather chance Kilcruit up in trip if declared.
- Tom – Kilcruit
- Matt – Whatdeawant (non-runner)
- Donn – Flame Bearer
- Deasy – State Man
17:25 Thursday – Stayers Hurdle (3m)
Safe to say we are split. I think Klassical Dream is a rocking bet. He is the best of these on his day and Cheltenham seemed an anomaly as far as his behaviour at the start goes. Everyone else is dead against him. Matt thinks Vanillier is very backable back over hurdles whilst Donn makes Ashdale Bob the bet at the prices.
- Tom – Klassical Dream
- Matt – Vanillier
- Donn – Ashdale Bob
- Deasy – Lay Klassical Dream, Gentlemansgame (win/place)
18:35 Thursday – Barberstown Castle Novice Chase (2m)
If Gentleman De Mee turns up he should be far too good for these. He looked to win at Aintree on merit and that’s the best form going. His price will hopefully hold up.
- Tom – Gentleman De Mee (non-runner)
- Matt – Gentleman De Mee (non-runner)
- Donn – Gentleman De Mee (non-runner)
- Deasy – Gentleman De Mee (non-runner)
Best Handicap Bets
- Tom – No bets
- Matt – Sassy Yet Classy (18:00 Thursday)
- Donn – Glan (16:50 Tuesday)
- Deasy – Thanksforthehelp (15:40 Wednesday)
Punchestown Best Lays
- Tom – Lay State Man if 2.0 at decs (18:00 Friday)
- Matt – Lay Klassical Dream 2.2 (17:25 Thursday)
- Donn – Lay Klassical Dream 2.2 (17:25 Thursday)
- Deasy – Lay Klassical Dream 2.2 (17:25 Thursday)
Punchestown Best Bets
- Tom – Klassical Dream 2.2 (17:25 Thursday)
- Matt – Allaho 2.75 (17:55 Wednesday)
- Donn – Minella Crooner 9.0 (17:20 Wednesday)
- Deasy – Gentleman De Mee 3.0 (non-runner)
16:15 Tuesday – Champion Novice Hurdle (2m)
Proper clash and everyone has deserted Dysart Dynamo. Matt makes the point that he’d want to note his demeanour before the race. If looking a little hot then he may be inclined to back Sir Gerhard, even at a very short price. I’m on price watch too though I do see the favourite as incredibly difficult to beat. Deasy will play the Mullins forecast.
- Tom – Sir Gerhard if 1.8 or bigger
- Matt – Sir Gerhard (getting towards no bet territory now price has shortened)
- Donn – No bet (Note: Gatsby Grey)
- Deasy – 1st. SG, 2nd DD straight forecast
17:25 Tuesday – Champion Chase (2m)
No bet for me. The rest of the panel are with Chacun Pour Soi at the prices. The consensus is that there should be less between the top two in the betting. Matt also makes the point that likely decent ground should suit Chacun over Energumene.
- Tom – No bet
- Matt – Chacun Pour Soi
- Donn – Chacun Pour Soi
- Deasy – Chacun Pour Soi
18:35 Tuesday – Champion Novice Chase (3m)
I make Bob Olinger a bet here, as does Deasy. It could be that three miles will ultimately be his trip and I’m not sure this looks a very deep race. Matt would rather back Fury Road after his Aintree second to Ahoy Senor.
- Tom – Bob Olinger
- Matt – Fury Road
- Donn – Bob Olinger (no bet)
- Deasy – Bob Olinger
17:20 Wednesday – Irish Mirror Novice Hurdle (3m)
Against the favourite as a group here. Journey With Me could well improve for the step up in trip and he may have been second if standing up at Cheltenham. Donn thinks Minella Crooner is a little overlooked at the prices whilst Deasy feels the other Minella (Minella Cocooner!) is value to reverse the Albert Bartlett form.
- Tom – Journey With Me
- Matt – Journey With Me
- Donn – Minella Crooner (Watch your Minellas…)
- Deasy – Minella Cocooner
17:55 Wednesday – Punchestown Gold Cup (3m)
Delighted someone has put Allaho up here and Matt sounds pretty confident. Maybe he will stay but I’d rather support Tornado Flyer at the prices. Donn and Deasy are both with the horse they feel has the best three-mile form in Minella Indo.
- Tom – Tornado Flyer
- Matt – Allaho
- Donn – Minella Indo
- Deasy – Minella Indo
18:30 Wednesday – Champion Bumper (2m)
I’ll chance American Mike given better ground than Cheltenham and the fact Gordon’s horses weren’t on song then. No bets for Donn and Matt though the latter is wary of supporting Cheltenham winners in this. Deasy thinks Facile Vega will prove too good again.
- Tom – American Mike
- Matt – No bet (Seabank Bistro but I need to watch some tapes of the jockey!)
- Donn – No bet (Note: Redemption Day)
- Deasy – Facile Vega
Watch Our Punchestown Preview:
Subscribe to the Matchbook Betting Podcast here
Subscribe to the Matchbook YouTube Channel here